Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent Day 1 and 2

The season of Lent has officially begun! I am really excited for this year...I have this sort of expectancy feeling.
First of all, for those of you who don't know what Lent is, let me explain a bit of what it's about. Lent is a forty-day season of reflection and preparation for the death and resurrection of Jesus. If begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Easter Sunday. It is a time of repentance, of considering Christ's sufferings and rethinking how we are called to take up our own crosses. Some of us give up things like chocolate or television during this season as a sort of fasting, and others try to integrate something new into their lives, like visiting folks in prison, sewing clothes, exercising, or praying. It's a good season to rethink how we live and to let some things go, or maybe even to develop some new "holy habits."
This year I am fasting from facebook and sweets. That includes scones (that'll be the hardest!), biscuits and desserts. One new of the new "holy habits" I'm trying to start is setting aside specific time for prayer at least three times a day. I'm also studying the book of Acts for the season.
So far things are going quite well...the first day was harder than I expected and I don't feel like I had a very strong start. I didn't cave and get on facebook or eat sweets, but I was very tempted throughout the whole day.
I'm really hoping that this season of fasting will strengthen my relationship with Christ. I was always sort of taught that one fasts to rely on Jesus more. The point is the cry out for Jesus and rely on Him whenever you feel the craving for what you're fasting from. I'm really intrigued by the act of fasting. To take away from your human desires so that you look more to God.
I dig it.
I dig it.
And I want to try and keep this blog updated throughout the season. And let yous know my progress and what I am learning from all this. And I'd love to know if any of you are fasting or trying to start new "holy habits." Just comment or send me an email at ellieocsmail@yahoo.com
Until Next Time

Ellie O'Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment