Friday, March 23, 2012

Lent Day 31

What a week it has been.
I've been keeping up with my Marathon training. I ran 5 miles twice this week and 3 miles once. I took yesterday off because I was in Dublin.
My cousin Krystal is doing a wee tour of Europe and Ireland is her first stop. So I got to meet up with her yesterday at Bewely's Cafe.
Here is us. It's been about 10 years since we've had a proper conversation. Well, I she came to my sister's wedding six years ago, but we were all so busy (as you are at weddings) that we didn't get any real quality time together. It was so good to see her! Hopefully, now that I'm older I can make it more of a priority to see her and my other cousins more often.
Dublin was fun. After lunch with Krystal, I did some window shopping. So many things I want...if only, if only. I got to walk around Stephen's Green, the weather was gorgeous and warm-ish, I just sat on a bench and read and relaxed. I walked around saw some statues including the very famous Molly Malone:
What a...emmm....women, wouldn't you say? I found this little pub a few blocks from O'Connell Bridge and the bus station and I spent most of my time there sipping Guiness and reading "Sacrilege" by Hugh Halter. An man came up to me while I was reading, because he was confused as to why I would read a "religious" book and drink alcohol at the same time. We ended up having a good conversations about why I'm a Christian and think it's absolutely fine to comsume alcohol as well.
The book, "Sacrilege", is really good so far. I've only read the first chapter and I can already tell that this is going to be one that challenged my faith and traditions. In the first chapter he talked about the images we hold of Jesus and how we have strayed from the real Jesus that the early disciples knew. He talked on how Jesus did NOT come to start a religion, but to end it and how religion actually gets in the way of the real Jesus. At the end of each chapter Halter has 1) Things to consider and 2) something to do. I am going to challenge yous to go over the next few things and challenge yourselves to think of Jesus in these different ways:
To Consider: What is your image of Jesus? Write down your honest thoughts about how you view Him. Where did you pick up these images?
To Do: Begin drafting a letter to your children or friends about your heart for them to know the real Jesus.
Well, now I have to get on with work.
I hope you enjoyed this post. And take to thought the challenge
Ellie O'Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment